Biology of disease by Nessar Ahmed; et al PDF

By Nessar Ahmed; et al

ISBN-10: 0203504720

ISBN-13: 9780203504727

ISBN-10: 0748772103

ISBN-13: 9780748772100

Biology of Disease describes the biology of a number of the human problems and ailment which are encountered in a scientific surroundings. it really is designed for first and moment 12 months scholars in biomedical technology courses and also will be a powerful reference for future health technology execs in addition to being helpful to scholars starting scientific college. genuine situations are used to demonstrate the significance of biology in knowing the motives of ailments, in addition to in analysis and remedy.

Show description

Read Online or Download Biology of disease PDF

Best anatomy & physiology books

New PDF release: Anatomy: A Photographic Atlas (8th Edition) (Color Atlas of

Arrange for the dissection lab and working room with Anatomy: A Photographic Atlas, 8e. that includes impressive full-color images of exact cadaver dissections with accompanying schematic drawings and diagnostic photos, this confirmed textual content depicts anatomic constructions extra realistically than illustrations in conventional atlases.

Animal Biotechnology and Ethics by Alan J. Holland, Andrew Johnson PDF

Complex biomedical options similar to genetic engineering at the moment are used greatly in animal similar study and improvement. because the speed of improvement has quickened, there was becoming public anxiousness concerning the moral matters concerned. Animal Biotechnology and Ethics attracts jointly in a single booklet a number of the top subject matters and matters that have emerged within the contemporary debates surrounding biotechnology as utilized to animals.

Additional resources for Biology of disease

Sample text

These cells form benign or malignant tumors (Chapter 17). Malignant neoplasms are a major cause of death in many developed countries. Moreover, their incidence is increasing as people live longer. W^dad\nd[Y^hZVhZ EPIDEMIOLOGY OF DISEASE Traumatic diseases are caused by physical injury and include mechanical trauma, extremes of heat or cold, electrical shock and radiation. Apart from the obvious problems caused by extensive damage to tissues, traumatic diseases may render an individual more prone to infection by compromizing the immune system (Chapter 4).

This ability is described by the predictive values of the test. The predictive value of a positive test is defined as: Predictive value of positive test = TP s 100 / TP + FP Specificity = TN s 100 / TN + FP A test with a specificity of 90% means that, on average, 90 out of 100 individuals without the disease would give a negative test. Conversely, 10 of these individuals would give a positive result even though they do not have any disease. and of a negative test as: Predictive value of negative test = TN s 100 / TN + FN A test of 90% sensitivity means that, on average, 90% of individuals with the disease will give a positive test while the remaining 10% of individuals with the disease would give a negative result.

Every disease has a distinct set of features that include a cause, associated clinical symptoms and a characteristic progression, with associated morphological and functional changes in the patient. The presence of an abnormality on its own, however, does not necessarily indicate disease since the affected individual must also suffer from ill health. Health can be defined as an absence of signs and symptoms associated with any disease. This definition has limitations in that there are circumstances where individuals believe they are ill even though detectable indications of disease are not present.

Download PDF sample

Biology of disease by Nessar Ahmed; et al


by Ronald
4.0

Rated 4.24 of 5 – based on 45 votes